YouSayToo

Promote Your Blog

Make money blogging

LEARN TO PAY GUITAR JUST LIKE YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO. ADULT GUITAR BOOK

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

More clues that no one talks about

I keep thinking of what I do when I play guitar and something else came to my mind. Stretching. No one ever really talks about stretching. The first thing you should do before any type of activity is to stretch. This is just as much true for a musician as it is for an athlete.

Before I play I always open my hand as far as I can and hold it for a few seconds. Then I make a fist and hold it for a few seconds. I do this a half dozen times or so before I grab my guitar. I also make a fist and roll my hands in a circular motion before I once again stretch my open and closed hands.

The important thing that you are doing is allowing your wrists and hands to perform there natural motion. This is very important so that you do not get cramps or the most dreaded for all guitarists. Carpal Tunnel or how every you spell it.

After stretching I like to do the Dimebag warm up. It is a simple exercise that will help your fingers gain strength and endurance. Simply grab the guitar and first tap on and pull off your first and second finger on the first two frets up and down the strings. Strike each string one time up and the next string down as you progress. D means down pick and U means up pick.



If the image is too small just click on it to open it up larger.

Move up the neck as far as you can stand it. Push yourself a bit but don't hurt yourself. When your notes no longer sound right don't worry. It is about gaining strength not accuracy. Accuracy will come more and more and you will be able to go further and further up the neck and eventually the entire neck up and down.

After using your first and second fingers take a break and do the stretches. When you feel rested you can then use your second and third fingers on the same notes and the same frets as far as you can go as well then repeat the rest and stretching before moving on to your third and forth fingers. DO NOT NEGLECT THE THIRD AND FOURTH FINGERS!!!

Over time you will get very strong hands and you will be able to play longer and longer without hurting. I know this exercise is boring but force yourself to do it each day you play and you will benefit from it.

To take things further you can take a scale you like and move it up and down the neck for the same effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger